04 January 2007

Teen Titans: Season Three: Tamaranian Palace

This is the Tamaranian Palace from "Bethrothed", Season Three. I'll see if I can get my hands on the colored version, so I can post that along with the incredible space shots Chu-Hui Song colored for the episode. Early on, I figured out that a dual sun or moon was easy shorthand for making the viewer aware of an alien setting, since of course, we only have one of each.

The design began as sort of a blend of Lawrence Alma-Tadema's "Spring" and Moebius, who's drawings always have hints of being alien and really ancient. "Spring" was really more for its festive mood and tone reflective of the emotional makeup of Starfire's people, because the Classic architecture is probably too staid and stoic.

Looking over the drawing now, it really bears little resemblance to the original inspirations, which is just as well, since I do't think I could have done either justice. I don't recall any design discussion of how stark the terrain should be, but I think that was necessitated more by the script calling for a precipitous drop to one side of the palace where a fleet of potentially hostile battle crafts was parked.

Something always bothered me about this drawing, and I think I finally see it. There are too many parallels along the stone walkway. Glen would always emphasize that parallels should be avoided unless you really need it. Especially in what should look more organic, those parallels make what was intended to look natural seem less so. Fortunately, color works like love on our drawings and covers over a multitude of mistakes like that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Kevin W! said...

Ver' cool.

Not being one to ever do backgrounds, I appreciate how nice yours are in line work.

And I look forward/hope to seeing the colored versions as well.

Cheers!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 2:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Coolcat J. said...

Nice! i really admire your work. soo detailed and kwel. why can't i draw like that? i am jelious... lol jk-ing

but seriously it's very good!
=^.^=

Friday, January 12, 2007 4:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home