18 January 2007

Teen Titans: Season 2: Underground

One thing universal among all the "Teen Titans" fans I've encountered was a disdain for Terra. Young and old viewers alike maintain a very strong reaction to her betrayal of the team, even post redemptive season two finale. During her introductory season, the Titan's Tower slowly sinks into an implausibly giant hole underground.

My job as the designer was to make this technological feat look at least passably possible. To cover the enormous space involved I drew this cutaway view, which does tweak the scale a little to keep it manageable for the storyboard artists to stage.

It all worked out well enough, but the overseas studio animating the show didn't get that the view was a cutaway and drew the ceiling exactly as I drew it. I probably should have made a clear note on the design.

Even with such extra effort to make everything clear, something always gets lost or altered in translation. Sometimes the changes can be for the better, but more often, the work suffers. Once it's out of your hands, all you can do is hope the damage is minimal and barely noticed like this instance.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Djordje Zutkovic said...

NICE!! I think your layouts are awsome!! Im an animation student and these are reaally inspiring! Keep up the wicked work!

Friday, January 19, 2007 7:28:00 AM  
Blogger David said...

The impossibility of a cavern that huge existing, as well as sinking an entire island into the bay, did occur to me when watching that episode. However, it's a superhero show. A bit of suspension of disbelief is required all around.

As for universally hating Terra, I'm one of the few that liked her. Her reasoning, at least the implied reasoning, behind the betrayal was pretty obvious and even understandable. She was hurt, lost, and terrified of her own abilities. She has a bit more depth than some of the other characters, and that makes her interesting.

Anyway, thanks for showing us all this cool art. I enjoy seeing production art for shows. Keep it up, I'm sure a lot of other fans will keep watching for more.

Monday, January 22, 2007 6:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Matt said...

Hahaha, I never noticed that goof before. Thanks for all the great "Teen Titans" artwork and anecdotes you've been posting lately, Hakjoon!

Monday, January 22, 2007 3:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Zubby said...

Nice work. I've enjoyed looking at all of your Teem Titans drwaings. Hope to see more!

Monday, January 22, 2007 4:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh neato...

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 2:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Elizabeth said...

I thought evil!Terra was pretty much amazing. Aftershock Pt. I & II were two of my favorite episodes.

Thursday, January 25, 2007 1:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Jenny said...

I agree with David. I love Terra in the show. Plus I'm not the only one. I've found there are actually a lot of Terra lovers out there on Teen Titans sites. I've only seen one or two with distain for her, all the others are "Go Terra!" all the way.

Excellent work though, I wish it had made it on the show.

Friday, January 26, 2007 7:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Amy Ukalichick said...

I never noticed that before, either! And I usually notice everything. Maybe I just assumed it was part of the ceiling that had fallen?

I like Terra because I think she's a good lesson for my kids that sometime their friends will do bad things, not because they're bad but because they're confused and don't know any better. You still have to deal with their bad behavior, but it helps to know where they're coming from. I think that Beast Boy brings this point home when he reminds Robin that he had been Slade's apprentice once.

Thanks for posting your art and behind the scenes stories on your blog!

Friday, January 26, 2007 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger qosmiq said...

Awesome work (this piece, indeed, but also you show us on this blog! Amazing work! Thanks!)
I hope I could have had access to this kind of art when working on the TT videogame, that would have been handy and would have allowed us to explore the TT universe so much deeper.
Thanks again!

Monday, September 05, 2011 7:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home