07 January 2007

Teen Titans: Prom Ship


So, one of the more fun and quintessential Glen Murakami "Teen Titans" ideas was that a villain, the ever dangerous Killer Moth, is threatening to destroy the city, if Robin doesn't agree to take his teenage daughter to prom. As it turned out, she was only trying to make her spider-headed boyfriend jealous. Another fun part of "Titans" was trying to revive the most obscure characters in DC Comics' along with the numerous insertions of names from the crew.

I designed this prom ship as a prop and BG, and at the time, it seemed to made sense to draw the whole ship in detail. As I went along, the drawing got bigger and bigger. I think the final drawing was about 3 feet wide and 18 inches tall. Fortunately, I still had some animation pan paper, so I was able to avoid dodging tape seams for the long continuous lines for the hull and deck.

As you can see, most of the action took place in the front deck, decorated with tables complete with moon and star balloons. The moons and stars were an allusion to the theme for the wedding invitations I designed for my friend, Chap Yaep, a director and storyboard artist on various shows I'd worked on, including "Teen Titans" and "The Batman". That, in turn, was alluding to a time, when Chap and his wife were dating and occasionally he'd sleep over instead of driving back home (50 miles from the office).

One of the letters, his then girlfriend (and now wife) wrote was filled with silvery confetti shaped like, you guessed it, moons and stars. Unaware of the letter's loose contents, Chap tore open the letter (as any enthusiastic member of a couple should) spilling the moons and stars all over the floor. Even after vacuuming up most of it, for years, I would occasionally find something clinging to the bottom of my foot and chuckle when it was one of those very moons or stars.

Perhaps, I haven't said much for my vacuuming skills (and probably not much about drawing either), but it's just funny how the littlest details and filter through years in your life and somehow find their way onto a nationally broadcast television show. Though I doubt anyone could have made the connection, save Chap and his wife (I can't recall if they did), I think it's those little things that not only make the drawing process fun, but add the layers of thought put into any labor of love that shine through directly and indirectly in the craftsmanship.

BTW, the ship's name is and ode to one of the show's longtime directors, Matt Youngberg.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris Battle said...

I always wondered- Did Ciro & Michelle make an appearence in that ep?

Monday, January 08, 2007 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger be4be4 said...

Yes, Ciro & Michelle were part of the incidentals along with 5-6 others from the crew.

Monday, January 08, 2007 5:56:00 PM  
Blogger Nevada Yim said...

Another astounding dedication to details. It always brings a smile on my face to see not all talent is based in Japan/Korea and China.

Monday, January 08, 2007 7:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Coolcat J. said...

you never cease to amaze me... i will never draw as good as that!

=^.^=

Friday, January 12, 2007 4:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Charley Parker said...

Couldn't find an email address for you, so I'll just leave a comment to let you know that your work is the subject of today's post on lines and colors (January 17). Permalink is here.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 7:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh cool... i liked this episode!!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 2:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home